According to the Royal Life Saving Society of Australia there were 39 drowning deaths in swimming pools in 2013/2014. For this reason it is essential that pool owners ensure that the gate is secure, in good working order and kept shit so that little ones can’t get into the pool area.
If you are a pool owner ask yourself these questions
- Is the gate secure, in good working order and can’t be opened with force once latched?
- Is the latch move than 1.5m from the ground?
- Is the gate self closing and self latching? Laurie prefers the magna latch. http://au.ddtechglobal.com/product/browse
- Does the gate open outward from the pool?
- Is the gap between the gate and fence less than 100mm?
- Can you see any way to prop the gate open?
- Does the gate swing back to the closed position after being opened?
Kids Alive – Do the Five!