The person carrying out the feedback observation session must be appointed by the Owner/Manager. The person carrying out the session should be completely familiar with all policies, teaching methods and terminology used at the Swim School.
• Firstly begin by informing the instructor that he or she will be partaking in a feedback observation session.
E.g. “Steven, today I will be watching your class at 3.30 pm and I will complete a feedback form for you. Later we will go though the form together”.
• During the session be sure to situate yourself in a position where you will be able to see and hear the instructor involved without causing any interference to the lesson.
• Be professional. Try to position yourself away from parents and be discrete with your recording procedure.
• Follow the format set down on the feedback form, making notes or expanding on points.
• Discuss the feedback form with the instructor. Be sure to go though the feedback form in a place that will not cause any embarrassment to either party.
• Photocopy the feedback form and give a copy to the instructor involved. Place the other copy in the staff record book.
• The instructor will also be provided with a blank lesson plan and will be requested to record a lesson plan for the same lesson next week. This is to be collected and discussed prior to next weeks’ lesson. The lesson plan is then placed in the staff record book.
• The feedback form should not be seen as an assessment of a persons’ teaching ability, but rather a constructive means of providing POSITIVE feedback to all teachers at the Swim School.
• The feedback form will help everyone become highly qualified teachers through continual training, retraining and POSITIVE feedback.
To download a PDF with these instructions and Evaluation forms click Feedback Observation Session