Lesson planning is of utmost importance for teachers and should be carried out regularly to assist learning and to develop progressive teaching skills and swim lesson ideas. You do have to remember, though, that not all lessons will go to plan. Think of lesson planning as more of a guide that needs constant review and reflection. Swimming teachers need to learn to be flexible and adapt to a variety of situations.
The teaching methods set down by World Wide Swim School follow a simple progressive learning/teaching curve from Babies through to Squad swimming. Progressive teaching methods must always be considered when lesson planning.
Swim Lesson Ideas & Plan Development
Lesson planning will promote the development of teaching skills so that teachers follow the methods set down, and thus making sure swim lesson ideas are suited to the appropriate lesson of each individual class rather than duplicating lesson plans that are inappropriate for class ability levels.
- Always begin by assigning a class level, time and date to the form. This can be used as a reference at a later date.
- Skills Warm Up – this is the opening stage of the lesson and should be used for relevant revision of previous lesson drills. E.g. kicking and breathing skills.
- Skill Development – this will form the main part of the lesson and should be used for the introduction and development of major skill development. E.g. Introduction of high elbow recovery, using six kicks change drills no breathing and developing strong kicking action by practising variation kicking drills.
- Main Points – this section can be used to record set terminology or important points worth emphasising with the class involved.
- Final Activity – all lessons should finish on a high note so that the child leaves having enjoyed their time in the swimming lesson. Be sure to finish with a constructive, enjoyable final activity, followed by positive praise for all.
- Names – record the names of class members, as this will assist in memory retention of all class members – an important teaching tool for a more personal approach to teaching.
Enjoy yourself and the achievements of the children you are teaching. They are depending on you to teach them a skill which will last a lifetime. Hope this swimming lesson plan and idea article has been of use to you.